Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles) - Gena Showalter
Alice In Zombieland is my first Zombie book. I've never liked Zombies in the movie, so I stayed away from them. But something about the book blurb and cover drew me in. I checked out a few reviews on blogs I follow and read a character interview on with Cole... I had to try. And... I FREAKING LOVE IT! A couple of the series' I've followed religiously are now put to bed and this just made my new go- to series list. I will follow this religiously!
"My name is Alice Bell, and on the night of my sixteenth birthday I lost the mother I loved, the sister I adored and the father I never understood until it was too late. Until that heartbreak when my entire world collapsed and a new one took shape around me." (Pg. 7) A good intro for Alice... Ali Bell. She is is one of my favorite characters I've read this year. I love her all the way around. She's stubborn, strong and a fighter. She is dealing with a huge loss and an even bigger discovery. She handled it pretty well in my book. Showalter didn't make Ali just get over it. She struggled and fought with her problems and losses. A horrible event in her life, in walks an amazing person for her... Kat. LOVE her! Sarcastic and spunky, stubborn and loyal. She rocks! Another favorite for the year. Honestly, there wasn't a character I didn't like in the book. Even the bad guys were well written and well just great. Now for... Cole. Cole. I... There... are no words. He's just wow. Intense. Loyal. Yum. Just wow. I love Cole and his friends were great too. I like Frosty, too.
Also, the Zombies didn't push me away at all. I really enjoyed this book in it's entirety. Nothing about turned me away or off from the story. I am completely hooked. I really liked the world that Showalter created. It was a fresh take to the paranormal world I have seen created around Zombies. I will be anxiously awaiting the next book for sure! I actually checked Alice In Zombieland out of my local library, but this will be one of the series I buy not only the hardcover copy for my bookshelf and Kindle copy too!

Favorite quotes:
"Of course." She fluffed her hair. "I don't want to brag, but I'm very high maintenance."
"Uh, I think low maintenance is what's desirable."
"Low maintenance is what's forgettable. You might want to write that down, underline it, circle it and put a star by it. It's golden." pg. 35-36

"Besides, there were only three possible outcomes if the two of us actually spoke.
1) He'd tell me to ~bleep~ off.
2) He'd tell everyone I was ~bleeping~ insane.
3) He'd ask me who he ~bleep~ I thought I was because he's positive he's never never seen me before." pg. 63-64

"Beautiful boys dated beautiful girls. That's how the world worked. And yes, by those rules, I was destined to be with a lanky loner with a tragic past. Wonderful." pg. 69

"Every inch a predator, she narrowed her eyes and closed the distance between us. This must be the "corner and threaten" routine Kat had warned me about.
"I don't know who you think you are or what you think you're doing," she snapped, "but I will bury you if you hurt one of my friends."
Yep. It was. "I think my name is Ali Bell, and I think I'm standing here, minding my own business. You should try it." Because Mackenzie was a few inches shorter than me, she had to look up to meet my gaze. For once, my height made me deliriously happy.
She scowled and flashed perfectly straight white teeth. "You better watch yourself. You don't want to see me angry."
"Or, what? You'll grow a few inches, develop muscles and turn green?'" Pg.87-88

"His sorta smile stretched wider. "Have you ever been in a fight?" With his free hand, he pinched a lock of my hair and rubbed the strands together. "Because you look like something out of a fairy tale."
"The wicked witch?" I couldn't help but ask.
"Please. The princess.'" Pg. 99

"The lunacy! Justin had asked the same thing about Cole. Throw in the reaction I'd gotten from Kat, Reeve, Poppy and Wren regarding my association with both Cole and Justin, and one thing became crystal clear: speaking to a guy at Asher High was the equivalent of picking out wedding bands." pg. 126

"..."How'd you get home yesterday?"
"I walked."
He threw me a look that was all kinds of dirty. "Don't ever do that again, do you hear me? Those woods are dangerous."
For a moment, all I could do was sputter. "First, you sound like my grandfather. Second, I think it's absolutely adorable that you believe you can boss me around.'" pg. 126 to 127

"'Fine, I'll follow your orders." Anything for answers. "Just as long as you realize that every time you issue one, I'm beating you up in my mind."
"Realized," he said, thrums of amusement suddenly evident. "But please refrain from mind-punching my pretty face. I like it just how it is." pg. 130

"I once again tried to pull from his grip, and he once again held on with a vise-tightness.
"Try to get away now," he muttered. "Dare you."
"I wasn't trying to get away," I muttered back. "I just wanted a free hand to slap you with."
He tried not to grin as he pointed out, "You have a free hand."
"Well, the urge to hurt you has passed."
"Lucky me."
"You have no idea.'" pg. 181

"'And you're sure it was administered to me in time?"
"We've already gone over this."
"And we'll probably have to go over it a bazillion more times! Deal with it."
He chuckled, the humore lighting his entire face. "Near-death experiences make you cranky. Good to know."
"Cole! Be serious."
Still smiling, he said, "Yes. I'm sure it was administered in time. I never do anything half-measure, and I never fail." pg. 185

"'By 'people like me', you better mean wonderful and caring.
Frosty sputtered for a response, before finaly settling on "After everything I've thrown at you, that's what you have to say?"
I wasn't sure how I felt about the fact that he and Cole shared the same incredulous reaction when dealing with me. "Yes."
"You are such a chick."
I widened my eyes in mock surprise. "No way. Are you sure?"
Sighing again, he rubbed at the tattoos on his wrist. "Mackenzie was right. You aren't slayer material."
Before he had time to register my intentions, I threw a punch. My sore, swollen knuckles slammed into his cheek-bone, thrusting his head to the sie. Pain shot up my arm, but I bit my tongue to stop a moan.
"You were saying?"
He popped his jaw, rubbed at the reddening skin- and slowly grinned. "Okay, so now I understand why Cole likes you. You're worse than Kat. And don't you dare ask if I think Cole likes you more than Mackenzie, you should know I'm not talking about his feelings, her feelings, your feelings, or anything to do with that crap. Got it?" pg. 193

"'Yeah, okay," I said in a sugar-sweet tone. "You're right. I was having dinner with Zombie Carl the other night. You know, steaks, rare, and a bottle of vintae type A. He told me all his secrets, but too bad for you I promised him I wouldn't tel. In exchange I asked him to gather his best undead buddies and stalk me through my friend's yard. And oh, yeah, it was totally fine if they wanted to use me as an all-night dinner buffet, because having organs is so last season."
Cole turned away, and I heard a dubious choking sound coming from his direction." Pg. 252

"'Nice." The relish had been replaced by a husky note of approval.
"Your version of playing dress up sucks," I muttered, tugging on the hem of the shorts.
He barked out a laugh. "I disagree. But if it makes you feel any better, I'll be stripping down, too."
"It doesn't." I'd probably mumble incoherently and drool.
His wanton grin suggested he knew exactly what I'd been thinking." Pg 305-306

"'Girl, he wants to dip you in Frosted Flakes and have you for breakfast. That's his favorite cereal, by the way."
I... had no words for that." Pg. 348